Friday, November 20, 2009

Romans

Reading Romans this morning.

Romans 1:1 "This letter is from Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach His Good News."

Powerful words from Paul. Paul proudly calls himself "a slave of Christ Jesus." Strange words in a culture where slavery was a very real position. A position that was not sought out. A position no one wanted.

Yet, Paul in essence says, "I've chained myself to Jesus. I've chosen to be a slave of His! I've found the best way to live and that is in total submission to Jesus our King!"

Most days I don't find myself living as a slave for Jesus. Most days I fight for what I think are my rights, my privileges! I'm slowly learning that a position of slavery in God's family is better than a position of nobility outside of God's family.

The amazing thing is that Jesus elevates our status and says "I call you friends." Jesus, the Creator of the Universe, calls me His friend. The One who can pick up the earth by His fingers wants to know me; wants to be known by me!

I'm humbled! I'm working on making Paul's statement true for myself.

"Trent, a slave of Christ Jesus, chosen by God to preach His Good News!"

No comments:

Post a Comment