Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Great sacrifices and great rewards

This morning I read 2 Timothy. A letter from the Apostle Paul written to his "son" in the faith Timothy.

Paul was so focused on his calling by God. In 2:10 Paul says, "I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen."

The Trent version of that verse reads, "I am willing to endure some things if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen."

God continues to teach me that the story we live in is truly His story and not mine. My role in the story is to point people to Jesus - no matter what! Paul encourages us in 3:12 "everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil people and impostors will flourish."

That's encouraging (not)! The road we walk as Christ-followers is a difficult road. A road filled with persecution, spiritual warfare, struggle, temptation and battles of epic proportions. We are to expect those things - knowing that "everyone who wants to live a godly life ... WILL suffer persecution."

And I love Paul's closing comments in 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of His return. And the prize is not just for me but for ALL who eagerly look forward to His appearing."

On the epic adventure we can expect great trials and great triumphs! Great sacrifices and great rewards! And it will be worth it all - for all of eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment